Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Monster Afghan – Happy End and Forever Diminishing Squares

I. DSC04525
The title of this post is rather morbid, though there’s very little drama involved, actually. The only monstrous thing about this finished afghan (or Selmaghan, as I call it) is its size. I haven’t measured it, but it covers my bed. At least widthwise. The bed is some 180 cm. No kidding. But I LOVE IT!!!!!! It started with scraps I had at home, and later on I bought a few skeins more, only because I planned a future of a bed spread for it. It will cover two adults watching TV now. Oh, and the cat, of course. If she could speak humanish, she would have told me: “You love this afghan, but I love it MOOOOORE!!!!!” I had hard time finishing it partly because it was technically impossible – I could not turn it around. The cat was sleeping in it the very second she got into it one half-second after I unfolded the blanket to work on it. I respect my cat’s sleep, most often. That’s why I call it Selmaghan – her name is Selma. See the connection?
But anyhow, the blanket it now finished, and even got an edging, which makes it look so much nicer and more finished! I even went to work one hour later today, so much I wanted to admire it spread on the bed.
DSCN2241
Here’s Selma working away on her Selmaghan.
DSCN2253
After such hard work – REST!!!!!
DSCN2265  DSCN2260
And here’s the finished object and border. I was running out of yarn, so I kept the edging very simple – first a row of dc, just to make it a bit more stable, and then sc chains, connected with dc. Ideally, I’d love a picot edging here, but I’d never have made it with the yarn I had. Well, I love it nonetheless. I see more blankets in my future…
II. Just as I said, more blankets in my future. This time – in baby format, for a friend of mine. But I got into trouble with it while crocheting squares. They were getting smaller and smaller. I tried to redo them, keeping an eye on my tension, but they were still diminishing. I realized, it’s better I stop and do something else, otherwise I’ll be constantly re-making those squares until the rest of my life. Just as a matter of fact, the baby was already born – approximately one month ago. I guess I should hurry…
Anyway, I turned to the good old granny square, also exchanging some colours. And I’m in love already. The squares turn out so delicate! Oh well, better you see it for yourself!
DSC04260 These are the old squares.
And here are the new ones:
DSCN2272DSCN2273DSCN2275
Later I will add one row in white to all the squares, before sewing them together, and some border – perhaps scallops?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...