Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Nobody is Perfect

DSCN3312
I say it straight away to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings,  I have nothing against Facebook, Twitter and whatever else exists (to me it looks like every day something else pops up, doesn’t it?), but I’m keeping my social engagement to a minimum, for a number of reasons, lack of time is one, inability to understand how the b…y thing is working is another. But this post is not about the disfunctionality of all those networks, along their disadvantages (which I’m sure they have!) they are invaluable for … I don’t know exactly, you name it, you do it so much better than me :)
What I really want to talk about here is how being on Ravelry, Facebook, Flickr and so on and so forth changes us. I’ve been on Ravelry for some years already, and I love to knit, but recently I’ve noticed I am planning projects JUST so that I can take a pretty picture and publish it there. The practicality, or, my gosh, such a ridiculous question, DO I really need this scarf? have slightly lost the importance they enjoyed before. Perhaps someone will notice and write a nice comment (not bad per se!). This has proved anyway a great jumpstart for me, a push I needed after years I spent without the needles and mulling over the next project in my head. But reality can be a tough lady, you know. Or I have problems with seeing things in my head properly, because sometimes they turn out rather different from the image in my head. And here it all starts… If the project turns out photogenic, I can still make a picture of it and hang it out on Ravelry. And then every time I look at my project page, I feel like a fraud – people surely think I’m enjoying this thing and wear it every single day, but the truth is, it is lying at the very bottom of my knitting basket and I have to reknit it before I can wear it. IF I will be able to wear it at all. Sometimes I’m really wondering, am I all alone in that dimension of the knitting universe?
So today I’ve been working on my son’s sweater (a nice photo is already on Ravelry and even got a sweet comment from the designer, yippee!). I reworked the collar, the arms and the edge. Now I am anxious that the sewn edge I’ve did on the collar will make it too tight and the sweater will not fit comfortable over the 2-year old’s huge noggin and, of course, he will not wear it. The collar was the central issue, by the way. Then I have a wonderful Abigail Cardi, that I wore only once. But the number of time I already reworked the collar band is considerable higher. Today I’ve frogged it once again. One more try is to come. Pathetic, I know.
So I’ve decided to keep to socks, for the time being. Playing safe, you know. Heal the wounds and ponder what I should knit next.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I posted all happy about an elephant I crocheted once, when actually the thing was an ugly mess and I never got around to finishing it. Then I decided that was rubbish and have since posted about crafting disappointments - those times when things don't turn out right. Definitely nobody is perfect, and perfect blogs/ravelry/etc don't tell the whole story. Here's to our failures and froggers as well as our successes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Sometimes I don't post anything on Ravelry until I'm finished and know that my project turned out fine :)

    We do want to be all glossy and perfect when we go public, don't we?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...